Whether you let your pet roam freely or they happen to escape, your home and the outside world can be a dangerous place. We recommend meeting your pets’ basic needs with appropriate food, to fulfill their nutritional needs; fun, safe toys to satisfy their behavioural needs of chewing and playing; safe collars, leashes and tie-outs keeping their environmental needs in check and appropriate grooming tools, for their safety and yours.
Like small children, pets are curious and will put almost anything in their mouths. This is exactly why you must prepare your home for your new pet’s arrival. For the most part, anything that’s poisonous to us needs to be out of reach to them. There are also common household items, some of which can be deadly, that every pet owner needs to be aware of.
Food, Drink and Indigestible
Although most are harmless to us, these items can be potentially lethal to your pet: Alcoholic beverages, avocado (skin & pit), caffeine (coffee, tea, soda), chocolate, cigarette smoke and tobacco products, moldy or spoiled foods, mushrooms, raw meat, eggs, bones, onions, garlic, chives, raw peanuts in shell, macadamia nuts, fruit seeds, salty foods, grapes and raisins.
Chemicals and Toxins
Fumes from certain chemicals and toxins are harmful to all pets, but especially to birds. The following is a list of the most common chemicals to watch out for:
Many common household and outdoor plants are toxic to pets. If eaten, these can cause serious illness and even death. Petland recommends taking some precautions:
Plants that ARE harmful to your pets: Amaryllis, azalea, bird of paradise, bulb flowers (iris, daffodil, etc.), calla lily (leaves), cherry tree (all parts but fruit), chrysanthemum, crab-apple (leaves only), eggplant (all parts but fruit), elderberry, English ivy, eucalyptus, foxglove, holly, marijuana, honeysuckle (leaves and berries), juniper, lily of the valley, morning glory, mistletoe, mushrooms, oleander, philodendron, poinsettia, poison ivy/oak/sumac, rhododendron, rhubarb, skunk cabbage, sweet pea, tulip/narcissus bulb, yew
Outdoor plants that are NOT harmful to your pets: bamboo, beech (American & European), blueberry, dogwood, grape vine, hibiscus, marigolds, raspberry, pyracantha, rose, willow
Indoor plants that are NOT harmful to your pets: African violet, aloe, Boston fern, Danish ivy, fig plant, grape vine, rose
Is Your Home Pet Proof?
Unfortunately, you cannot remove all potential pet dangers. You can however make sure your pet is safe from the following hazards:
Signs of Trouble
It is not always easy to tell if a pet has been exposed to or ingested toxic material. In some cases it is instantaneous, but in other cases, it can take days or even weeks. Here are some common signs to look for:
What To Do
It is always better to be safe than sorry. If you think your pet has ingested or been in contact with any toxic items, contact your veterinarian immediately.